Skip to main content

SUSTAINABILITY

What is sustainability?
Sustainability is all about protecting natural resources and making sure as little damage as possible is done to the environment. It means protecting all the living creatures and biodiversity. It also means that all people and communities should be treated fairly too. It is about trying to find good ways to use natural resources and good ways to recycle and reduce waste products.
Sustainable forests are very important because in the past trees were just cut down and land used for other things like pasture for sheep and cattle. Now  people have learnt we must replant and have reforestation.
In some countries like Canada there are lots of sustainable forests. Here is my presentation.( Great Lakes Sustainable Forest)

In Spain there are not as many , in fact only about 7% of forestland has the certificate of
sustainable. This is because there are lots of small forests with private owners and it is easier to make a big area sustainable. There is a private owned small sustainable forest in Capdepera, it belongs to my friend, Toni's family. They are sustainable because they never cut down the trees and have a special "Reserva de Fauna" certificate. It is an official Bee Protection area and they have lots of wild , natural beehives. The area is all natural and very green and beautiful.
 La imagen puede contener: árbol, planta, cielo, hierba, exterior y naturaleza
 BeeLover Sanctuary, Capdeperahttps://www.facebook.com/beeloversanctuary/

La imagen puede contener: árbol, planta, exterior y naturaleza
 They want to keep it natural to preserve biodiversity. Nearby, you can see the opposite. Rich landowners cut down all the trees to make big houses and villas with swimming pools. Even worse, there is a massive 5 star hotel complex that takes up a whole mountain side. This is the problem in Mallorca. Tourism clashes with
the environment. Sometimes ecologists protest about this. The GOB  activists fight to protect birds, wildlife and forests  and they once won a battle to stop a golf course at SON BOSC .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

METALS

METALS POST: The definition of metal is any of the elements with a positive electrical charge, typically with a shiny surface and a good conductor of heat. An example of metal is gold.   Types of metal -There are 2 types of metal : ferrous and non-ferrous Ferrous metals contain iron. Non-ferrous metals do not contain iron. A pure metal only consists of a single element. This means that it only has one type of atom in it. The common pure metals are:-aluminium, copper, iron, lead, zinc, tin, silver and gold. Ferrous metals are steel, cast iron and carbon steel. Ferrous metals are not malleable,( they do not bend as easily). Some ferrous metals are very strong, long-lasting, and magnetic. These characteristics are beneficial for building or for use in certain industries. Here is a steel skeleton structure used for building houses and flats.( source: www.pixabay.com)   N on ferrous metals are not attracted to a magnet and they also do not rust in the same way when exp

About me

My name is Joel Marín Fairweather and I am 14 years old. This is my blog for High School. I am going to write a little bit about myself for my technology teacher. We have to use new technology to communicate and a blog is a good idea, I think. I am going to start with my family. I have two sisters, Cloe and Ellen, both older than me. My dad is David and he lives in Palma.. My mam is Julie and she is a teacher in Artà. Artà is a small town in Mallorca, it is my home town. I like it a lot but also like Newcastle, where my mam is from and where all my English family lives. We always go there on holiday and I love it especially at Christmas. Another important member of the family is my dog Stitch! He is small but lively and I love to run around the house with him. My favourite sport is football and I play for our local club. We train hard, three times a week and have matches at the weekend. I would really love to be a footballer when I grow up. I know this is like a dream but if I can&

The FILM

The title of our film is " Under the Same Curse" and I think we all did a great job. I am watching it now again on the mobile phone and it brings good memories. We laughed a lot while we were making it. Not all of the time though. Sometimes it was too hard to get it all done in time.      First, our group was Carme, Catalina, Aina, Marie, Biel and Miquel and me . We had to write our script first and check it all. This was quite hard. Then we had to decide who was who. That was easy but Marie had to be play a male part because we didn't have enough boys. She did it really well. I was the leading role of Stanley because I like speaking English a lot. The next part was the filming.  I think it was good fun but hard work at the same time. We all live in different places, Colonia, Artà ,Sant Llorenç so meeting up was a bit complicated. My group was a good team I think and everyone was nice if somebody couldn't turn up for some reason. We worked well together on all the