Skip to main content

METALS

METALS POST: The definition of metal is any of the elements with a positive electrical charge, typically with a shiny surface and a good conductor of heat. An example of metal is gold.
 Types of metal-There are 2 types of metal : ferrous and non-ferrous
Ferrous metals contain iron. Non-ferrous metals do not contain iron. A pure metal only consists of a single element. This means that it only has one type of atom in it. The common pure metals are:-aluminium, copper, iron, lead, zinc, tin, silver and gold.

Ferrous metals are steel, cast iron and carbon steel. Ferrous metals are not malleable,( they do not bend as easily). Some ferrous metals are very strong, long-lasting, and magnetic. These characteristics are beneficial for building or for use in certain industries. Here is a steel skeleton structure used for building houses and flats.( source: www.pixabay.com)
 

Non ferrous metals are not attracted to a magnet and they also do not rust in the same way when exposed to moisture. Some of these metals properties are malleable, ductile and conductive to heat or electricity. Non-ferrous metals include copper, aluminium, tin , zinc and brass. Copper is used to make electrical wires . Lead, a strong heavy metal is used to protect roofs on buildings.
 Copper wire: IMAGE SOURCE: www.pixabay.com






ALLOYS-Alloys are substances that contain two or more different metals and occasionally other elements.
    A ferrous alloy : COMPONENTS PROPERTIES USES
    Stainless Steel 18% chromium, and 8% Corrosion resistant Kitchen draining boards. Pipes, cutlery, aircraft.
    Non-ferrous alloys: COMPONENTS PROPERTIES USES
Aluminium alloys-
Duraluminium)
Aluminium +4% Copper+1%Manganese Ductile, Malleable, Work Hardens. Aircraft and vehicle parts.



Brass 65% copper +35%zinc. Very corrosive, yellow in colour, tarnishes very easily. Harder than copper. Goelectrical conductor. Castings, ornaments,
door knockers



NEWS ABOUT SUPER METALS
SUPER-ALLOY: A new super alloy is the most resistant to be created. It is a combination of TITANIUM and GOLD and is going to be used for dental implants as it is so tough. Here is the link to the BBC NEWS




SUPER -CONDUCTORS-A superconductor is a special type of material that conducts electricity without resistance. Here is a video from YOUTUBE , a Canadian university project that shows how superconductors can make a train “float” or rise.

Super conductor

For information on metals I used the bbc bitesize website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

My name is Joel Marín Fairweather and I am 14 years old. This is my blog for High School. I am going to write a little bit about myself for my technology teacher. We have to use new technology to communicate and a blog is a good idea, I think. I am going to start with my family. I have two sisters, Cloe and Ellen, both older than me. My dad is David and he lives in Palma.. My mam is Julie and she is a teacher in Artà. Artà is a small town in Mallorca, it is my home town. I like it a lot but also like Newcastle, where my mam is from and where all my English family lives. We always go there on holiday and I love it especially at Christmas. Another important member of the family is my dog Stitch! He is small but lively and I love to run around the house with him. My favourite sport is football and I play for our local club. We train hard, three times a week and have matches at the weekend. I would really love to be a footballer when I grow up. I know this is like a dream but if I can&

The FILM

The title of our film is " Under the Same Curse" and I think we all did a great job. I am watching it now again on the mobile phone and it brings good memories. We laughed a lot while we were making it. Not all of the time though. Sometimes it was too hard to get it all done in time.      First, our group was Carme, Catalina, Aina, Marie, Biel and Miquel and me . We had to write our script first and check it all. This was quite hard. Then we had to decide who was who. That was easy but Marie had to be play a male part because we didn't have enough boys. She did it really well. I was the leading role of Stanley because I like speaking English a lot. The next part was the filming.  I think it was good fun but hard work at the same time. We all live in different places, Colonia, Artà ,Sant Llorenç so meeting up was a bit complicated. My group was a good team I think and everyone was nice if somebody couldn't turn up for some reason. We worked well together on all the