Skip to main content

STRUCTURES

POST NUMBER 4: Structures
A structure is something that has been made or built. Structures are not just buildings and really structures are everywhere, in the natural world too. For example, a spider's web or honey-comb are examples of natural structures while a house or a wall are man-made structures. A structure is not only a big construction but even small simple things that you see and use everyday and everywhere.
A handbag or a pencil case and even a football is a structure. Most structures are built for a special purpose for example a bag  to keep things or a bridge to cross a river. But natural structures can happen by accident and over long periods of time, for example stalactites in caves. Basically , structures are EVERYWHERE!
Structures can have many uses and usually help us in our everyday lives.ALL structures have certain things, which are a definite shape and size and a definite purpose. A structure will serve a specific function so its shape and size will depend on the function. A structure has to resist pressure and forces. A bridge needs to be made of strong materials to support the weight above it. Here are some of the main uses of structures that you might see on a normal day. In your home, there is furniture( tables, chairs, sofas) to support you and make you more comfortable. A bookshelf  is used to store books. The stairs outside are to help you get up and down. You might have a lift which would be
a mechanical structure to make access faster. Outside there are walls to protect the buildings and lamposts to give light.  Different structures have different functions but one thing they all have in common is that they are built and designed with special materials and shapes to make sure the they serve the function.
NATURAL STRUCTURES
Natural structures can be of many different shapes and sizes and you can find them anywhere in the natural world. A bird's nest is made carefully by a bird with sticks and straw with a special shape to protect its eggs and chicks. It has to resist the weight and the force of the wind. A glacier is a natural structure that results from ice and changes in temperature. A bee makes a special geometric shape honeycomb structure, with holes that fit the size of a bee.
 On land there are many rock formations and cliffs caused by erosion of the sea and wind. A natural structure that really impressed me is the Stone Forest of China. My mam worked in China one summer and when she sent me the photos I was amazed.
Geologists say the Stone Forest is over 200 million years old and used to be under the sea.
Erosion and weathering has shaped the rocks into long needles which appear to have faces or animal forms. Here is a link STONE FOREST in CHINA.

MAN-MADE or MANUFACTURED STRUCTURES 

Man-made structures are all those that have been built or made by man. From the first walls to protect a cave entrance in prehistoric time to super modern bridges over rivers man has always made structures to make life easier or better. Nowadays , many structures are for pleasure for example the London Eye. Man-made structures can be classified into 3 groups depending on their design. They can be mass, frame or shell structures.
Mass is when lots of material is accumulated for example a sand castle, or a brick wall.
These structures are made of stone or brick for example and are very resistant to weather and pressure.
Frame structures have a skeleton or main part supporting other parts. Houses have columns and beams which support wood, ceilings etc. An umbrella is a frame structure. Bridges across rivers can have an arched shape structure. The Tyne bridge in Newcastle is made of tons of metal , very resistant to support the weight of cars,buses and lorries. Here is a photo.
The Tyne Bridge is the blue one and the red and white one is a SWING BRIDGE that moves to let ships go up and down the river.

Shell structures are usually empty on the inside and are used for containing things. So shell structures can be things like bags, an ice igloo or even a canoe. A shell structure can be heavy. Imagine an old canoe made from a log. These are more modern light canoes but the structure is the same.
MY FAVOURITE STRUCTURE
Well, I have two really. The man-made one is the GREAT WALL OF CHINA. I think it is amazing because of its size-the longest wall ever built-over 21,196 kilometres!!!!!!! To think that a structure started over 2000 years ago is still remaining( well parts of it) is INCREDIBLE!
The purpose was to protect their border and stop enemies getting in and also has fortresses and small towers. I would love to go there one day. The main forces the wall of China has to resist nowadays are erosion from the wind and rain.
The other structure I love is a natural one and I discovered it doing a project in Na Caragol with Miquel Nebot. It is a TUNNEL TREE!!
TUNNEL TREE
 But sad news! I have just heard that a storm knocked the tree down. It was very old and no longer resistant to the weather!  Extreme weather  can destroy both natural and man-made structures-

ALL IMAGES ON THIS POST ARE FROM PIXABAY www.pixabay.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

METALS

METALS POST: The definition of metal is any of the elements with a positive electrical charge, typically with a shiny surface and a good conductor of heat. An example of metal is gold.   Types of metal -There are 2 types of metal : ferrous and non-ferrous Ferrous metals contain iron. Non-ferrous metals do not contain iron. A pure metal only consists of a single element. This means that it only has one type of atom in it. The common pure metals are:-aluminium, copper, iron, lead, zinc, tin, silver and gold. Ferrous metals are steel, cast iron and carbon steel. Ferrous metals are not malleable,( they do not bend as easily). Some ferrous metals are very strong, long-lasting, and magnetic. These characteristics are beneficial for building or for use in certain industries. Here is a steel skeleton structure used for building houses and flats.( source: www.pixabay.com)   N on ferrous metals are not attracted to a magnet and they also do not rust in the same way when exp

What is Technology?

Technology is the use of knowledge to invent new devices and tools. It is TECHNIQUE + SCIENCE.  The aim of technology is to solve problems by making objects. The technological process is all the steps that have to be followed to solve a problem. There are seven steps. 1. Identify the need or problem 2. Analysis of the problem 3. Research 4. Generate ideas and make a project brief 5. Planning and Budget 6. Manufacturing or Construction 7. Test and Evaluate Examples of technology in my daily life- The images are from pixabay.com 1 Microwave oven- I need to heat the milk and other food for my breakfast or dinner. This oven is made of metal and uses electricity and radio-active waves to heat food nd drink very quickly. It is less dangerous than gas cookers.  2. Radiator- In winter it gets cold inside my house and we need to switch on the radiator. It is made of metal and filled with oil. When you switch it on the oil heats up inside and it radiates heat.

About me

My name is Joel Marín Fairweather and I am 14 years old. This is my blog for High School. I am going to write a little bit about myself for my technology teacher. We have to use new technology to communicate and a blog is a good idea, I think. I am going to start with my family. I have two sisters, Cloe and Ellen, both older than me. My dad is David and he lives in Palma.. My mam is Julie and she is a teacher in Artà. Artà is a small town in Mallorca, it is my home town. I like it a lot but also like Newcastle, where my mam is from and where all my English family lives. We always go there on holiday and I love it especially at Christmas. Another important member of the family is my dog Stitch! He is small but lively and I love to run around the house with him. My favourite sport is football and I play for our local club. We train hard, three times a week and have matches at the weekend. I would really love to be a footballer when I grow up. I know this is like a dream but if I can&